Traces of early Native Americans in sunflower genes
New information about early Native Americans' horticultural practices comes not from hieroglyphs or other artifacts, but from a suite of four gene duplicates found in wild and domesticated sunflowers. Scientists learned duplications of the gene flowering locus T, or FT, could have evolved and interacted to prolong a flower's time to grow. A longer flower growth period means a bigger sunflower -- presumably an attribute of value to the plant's first breeders.
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
/ realated stories]
Article Taged as : traces, early, native, americans, sunflower, genes, http, feeds.sciencedaily.com, sciencedaily, ztpr1anhpys, 100402110131.htm, http, www.sciencedaily.com, newsfeed.xml, sciencedaily, magazine, traces, early, native, americans, sunflower, genes,
Article Viewed 943 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
your link to the latest research news. daily headlines about discoveries in the physical and life sciences, health and medicine, the environment, and technology, from the world's leading universities and research centers.
The Submitted XML Type text/xml; charset=UTF-8 and gathered so far 334956 bytes of news and keep on growing.
Submit Server name is GSE and Code Page 65001 (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Traces of early Native Americans in sunflower genes
Date Listed : Sunday, April 04, 2010
Source : ,
- Gulf oil spill Americans pitch their ideas for cleaning it upVacuum pumps, oil-eating bacteria, and hair booms are a few of the ideas for dealing with the Gulf oil spill.
- Chinese currency why Americans should care if yuan is revalued A jump in the value of Chinese currency, the yuan, would make products manufactured in China more expensive, but could also help US manufacturers remain competitive abroad.
- Sur Jupiter limpact du 3 juin na pas laissé de traces Le télescope spatial Hubble a été mobilisé pour observer la planète Jupiter ces derniers jours. En jeu, les réponses à deux énigmes : un flash lumineux observé le 3 juin ...
- Concern over non native speciesA conservation charity warns that a number of non-native mammal species are damaging the UK countryside.
- Could Americans saving more and spending less rescue the US economy where The conventional wisdom is that the US economy won't recover until consumers start spending freely again. But some economists say Americans saving their money may be more advantageous.
- eInserts A Cost Effective Alternative to Email Marketing eInserts.net announces a cost effective alternative to email marketing that promises to deliver real value as well as measurable results. (PRWeb Apr 2, 2010)
- Traces of early Native Americans in sunflower genes New information about early Native Americans' horticultural practices comes not from hieroglyphs or other artifacts, but from a suite of four gene duplicates found in wild and domesticated sunflowers. Scientists ...
- Healing native rangeland may require combination of burning and rotational grazingVERNON -- The application of summer patch burning to heal native rangeland may be best accomplished using rotational grazing, according to a Texas AgriLife Research range ecologist.
- FCC Four Types of Americans Who Dont Have Internet The Federal Communications Commission announced plans to launch its National Broadband Plan next month, which will provide high-speed Internet connections to over 93 million Americans who currently don't use Internet. ...
- Millipore Corporation Confirms It is Evaluating Strategic Alternatives Millipore Corporation , a leading provider of technologies, tools and services for the global life science industry, today confirmed that its Board of Directors is evaluating strategic alternatives to enhance ...