Jairam confounds confusion
Of late , Vedanta, the Aluminium Major, has emerged as the whipping boy of NGOs and Media.
Jairam Ramesh, Union Minister Forest & Environment has added fuel to the fire by the statement that the company had violated norms both on the tribal and forest regulation fronts at its Rs 50,000 crore project in Odisha.
After this Vedanta baiting has reached a crescendo in the state.
The truth is however, some what different, feel Industry Watchers.
The Greenfield project of Vedanta Aluminium Limited (VAL) at Lanjigarh in Kalahandi district has been flayed for starting construction on non-forest revenue land before forest clearance is obtained for forest land which is a part of the same project.
Mr.Ramesh, who is heading the Ministry of Forest & Environment (MOEF) has clearly mentioned in a Press Release on 27 November, 2009 that construction on non-forest land while awaiting for forest clearance of forest land, is not a violation of Forest Conservation Act.
It is a violation of the guidelines issued by MOEF under the Act.
MOEF sought an explanation from the Government of Odisha explaining the reasons and circumstances on which such non-forest construction taken up for Lanjigarh Project.
State Government has satisfactorily clarified that construction was undertaken on non-forest revenue land leased out for the Project through IDCO long back.
IDCO is the State PSU, responsible for allotment of land for industrial purpose.
In absence of the clarity in the matter, such construction could not construe violation of law, said Government of Odisha.
In fact MOEF it self have confounded the confusion by violating their own guidelines in various cases.
In December, 2009 MOEF in a similar case relating to a mining project, has advised Government of Odisha to allow mining in non-forest area although the project involves non-forest land and land for which permission was due.
This has again happened only recently in case of another aluminium project near Sambalpur.
In January, 2010, MOEF asked Government of odisha to allow the project proponent to undertake construction activities in non-forest area without even waiting for a compliance report to Stage-I approval.
Applying different principles to different projects has surprised the State Government and Industry Watchers.
They strongly feel that clear cut and uniform guideline should be spelt out to ensure smooth implementation of pending projects requiring both forest and non-forest lands.
They also feel that Vedanta is unfairly dealt with to appease NGO sentiment.
Source: http://www.tathya.in/ news/ story.asp?sno=3878
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Amit from 61.246.7.xxx
Article Taged as : jairam, confounds, confusion, http, www.allvoices.com, contributed, news, 5437096, jairam, confounds, confusion, jairam, confounds, confusion,
Article Viewed 3013 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Jairam confounds confusion
Date Listed : Friday, March 19, 2010
Source : ,
- Jairam confounds confusion Of late , Vedanta, the Aluminium Major, has emerged as the whipping boy of NGOs and Media.
Jairam Ramesh, Union Minister Forest & Environment has added fuel to the fire ...
- Green Hotel Certification Programs Snowball, Sparks Confusion Pineapple Hospitality and EcoGreenHotel examine hotel certification programs, and explore how changes in the market will impact your business.
The trend toward eco-conscious travel has brought with it a growing number ...
- New Site Clears Confusion on Types of Yoga Accessories A new site has opened to the delight of yoga fans everywhere. In fact, the site http://www.my-yoga-accessories.com is dedicated to making the finding of yoga accessories of every type faster ...
- Consequences of consumer confusion In this post I will focus on three consequences of consumer confusion: (1) attribute satisfaction; (b) information satisfaction and (c) overall satisfaction.
Using quantitative methodology and established scales in the fields ...
- The Confusion About New Jersey Auto Insurance Cleared Up New Jersey residents should take the time to understand the big difference between the two auto insurance policies that are available in the state.
Trenton, New Jersey, September 21, 2009 -- ...
- VaR confusion in UCITS Rules needs fixing says EM Applications London, 19th May 2009 â€" A contradiction at the heart of the European Commissionâ€™s UCITS rules means that VaR calculations in some European countries are at odds with each other. ...
- Anti Aging Wrinkle Cream Confusion Comes To An End: Skin Care Reporter Launches Wrinkle Cream Guide Fresh Web Publishing announces the launch of its new anti aging wrinkle cream product information website. According to the company, AntiAgingWrinkleCreamInfo.com was designed to help consumers make informed buying decisions ...
- Confusion around Carbon Credits Ended FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
www.CarbonKredits.com Pty Ltd
Confusion around Carbon Credits Ended
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1 October â€" www.CarbonKredits.com today launched its website to end confusion around carbon credits.
The launch of ...