Prospects for Legalizing Drug (Re-)Importation to the United States
President Barack Obama said during his election campaign he would ‘allow Americans to buy their medicines from other developed countries if the drugs are safe and prices are lower outside the US’. He began delivering on this promise with a fiscal 2010 budget request for funds ‘to allow the FDA to begin developing policies for drug importation’.
Earlier in 2009, with strong bipartisan support, Senator Bryon Dorgan (D-ND) re-tabled a bill to allow both personal and commercial drug importation. Obama himself, new White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and the influential Senator Edward Kennedy were co-sponsors of the identical 2007 version. The new HHS Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, signed up to a state importation programme when Kansas governor, and has now committed to implementing one at the federal level should the law change.
With public and private payers across the country seeking to save every healthcare dollar to get through the economic recession, Dorgan senses a ‘bit of a tailwind’ behind his proposal this time. His supporters are tackling their critics head on with claims that rather than it being dangerous the measure will actually improve drug safety. Through a legislative manoeuvre, and the help of former presidential hopeful Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Dorgan has obtained a commitment from the Senate Majority Leader to bring his bill to the Senate floor for a vote later in 2009. Drug importation is back on the front burner. Is your company prepared?
The report addresses:
• What is proposed in the Pharmaceutical Market Access and Drug Safety Act of 2009.
• Personal and commercial importation in perspective.
• Answers to the key questions: Will the bill pass and when? If it passes, will it work and how soon? Where might supplies come from and how? Who would buy and use imported drugs in the US? What are the risks? What would be the savings?
• How Canada’s international pharmacy business developed.
• Comparison with parallel trade in Europe
You’ve heard the sound bites, get the facts and analysis from an acknowledged expert on cross-border trade and international online pharmacy. Whether you want to protect your business in the US, assess the potential for becoming a player in what could be a new channel or a supplier to it, or are concerned about the knock-on effects in the 20 countries initially named as potential sources (inc. Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain and the UK) this report is essential reading.
Table of Contents :
1. Background to Importation
1.1 Healthcare Coverage in US
1.2 US Drug Prices
1.3 Cost Burden
1.4 Why Importation?
1.5. Current Legal Situation with Importation
1.5.1 Importation by Manufacturers
1.5.2 Enforcement Discretion with Personal Importation
For more information please contact :
http://www.aarkstore.com/ reports/ Prospects-for-Legalizing-Drug-Re-Importation-to-the-United-States-13937.html
From: Aarkstore Enterprise
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Neel from 59.184.149.xxx
Article Taged as : prospects, legalizing, drug, (re-)importation, united, states, www.aarkstore.com, prospects, legalizing, drug, (re-)importation, united, states,
Article Viewed 3690 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Prospects for Legalizing Drug (Re-)Importation to the United States
Date Listed : Friday, March 19, 2010
Source : ,
- Prospects for Legalizing Drug (Re-)Importation to the United States President Barack Obama said during his election campaign he would ‘allow Americans to buy their medicines from other developed countries if the drugs are safe and prices are lower outside ...
- KUMAR PROPERTIES Real Estates in Bangalore:Ring-09741773331:NRI property buyers About Project:
Kumar Properties has launched new project Prince town in Bangalore. Unlike most projects in Bangalore, the apartments in prince town come in comfort sizes that will fit in your ...
- Rumson, Bolling & Associates Rebuilding The United States Construction Industry (1888PressRelease) Rumson, Bolling & Associates is doing our part to help rebuild the United State's construction industry. The construction industry has been drastically affected by the United State's current recession, ...
- United Enterprises, Thane announces the launch of their Official Business Website United Enterprises, Thane, India is is delighted to announce the launch its brand-new official business website http://www.indiamart.com/unient/ for connecting entrepreneurs and e-businesses with a skilled base of Internet. The company, ...
- United Enterprises announces the launch of their Business Website. United Enterprises announces the launch of their Business Website.
United Enterprises Chandigarh is delighted to announce the launch of its website http://www.indiamart.com/unitedenterprises/ that will be of tremendous value to our customers. ...
- Ultimate Bonus Reloaded - United World Capital ForEx relaunches Ultimate Bonus (1888PressRelease) The most generous bonus system is back! United World Capital Reloads its Ultimate Bonus Program after only two months since Ultimate bonus 1 has expired.
Today 8th March 2010, United ...
- New Citizens Get Gifts of Land in the United States One of the most popular gifts for new naturalized Americans upon receiving their U.S. citizenship is Land in rthe USA.
New York, NY, March 04, 2010 -- One of the most ...
- Prospects for the Textile and Garment Industry in Pakistan 2009 edition The textile and garment industry is Pakistan’s most important industrial activity by far and is a crucial part of the country’s economy. In the 2007/08 financial year (July 1, 2007-June ...
- Deodorant Will Prevent Sweating For 5 Days Without Reapplying: Now Available In The United States MIDDLETON, WI - Klima Deodorant, once only available by prescription in the Netherlands, is now available for purchase in the United States via the internet.
For 50% of users, Klima deodorant ...
- Commission calls on Member States to step up awareness of Europe's single emergency number 112 To mark European 112 Day on February 11, the European Commissioner for the Digital Agenda Neelie Kroes has written to Member States calling on them to intensify their efforts to ...