WPBT2’s Imagining a New Florida
Has the Florida Dream Morphed into the Florida Nightmare?
What will Florida live like in 2030? WPBT2’s original production, Imagining a New Florida, explores the issues surrounding this question on, Thursday, May 13 at 8:00 pm on WPBT2 and most Florida public television stations. (Check you local listing.)
After years of growth fueled by speculation and quick profit, Florida’s housing boom has collapsed, leaving its economy in crisis. Now for the first time since the 1940’s, more people are leaving Florida than arriving. And, though growth has stalled during the recession, it is expected to resume, increasing our numbers to some 25 million by 2030. “We were on the General Motors track for the last 50 years,” says Bruce Stephenson, a professor of environmental and growth management studies at Rollins College. “If you want to stay on the General Motors track for the next 50 years, you’re going to go bankrupt.”
While Florida was on the fast track of development, Linda Chapin, the former chairman of the Orange County Commission, says, “We wrote a lot of policies and we wrote a lot of regulations, but we never had an overarching vision of what we want to be like when we were developed.” As a result many communities in Florida have lost their sense of place and relationships with their neighbors.
For the past year, WPBT2 has criss-crossed the state exploring the meaning of community and the negative impacts of sprawl. Has the Florida dream morphed into the Florida nightmare? Is Florida too built out? Can Floridians chart a new path towards sustainable growth?
Imagining a New Florida explores these questions with Floridians. Through the voices of architects and artists, developers and historians, planners and stakeholders, it embarks on a journey of imagining a new Florida.
“A lack of vision,” says producer Jack Kelly, “got us to where we are today. So where we go from here lies in the hands of every Floridian.”
Imagining a New Florida is made possible with a grant from Florida Humanities Council, which brings Floridians together by sharing the stories of our state. And by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Contacts: Cammy Richards, , 305-424-4013
Natalia Villegas, , 305-424-4190
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Natalia Villegas from 65.124.214.xxx
Article Taged as : wpbt2’s, imagining, florida, http, www.channel2.org, wpbt2’s, imagining, florida,
Article Viewed 2721 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : WPBT2’s Imagining a New Florida
Date Listed : Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Source : ,
- Florida homes Will luxury real estate ever rise again where Florida homes were the craze in the 1920s, then prices crashed and didn't fully recover until the '40s. The current bust could be worse.
- Learn the Future of Internet Marketing and Social Media for Online Businesses at AMA South Florida Event Search Engine Optimization expert Jay Berkowitz to share web site promotion and marketing techniques that work on March 25th at the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Boca Raton. (PRWeb Mar 22, ...
- Florida Panhandle Economy is Ready for Takeoff Spring Ridge Development Team Maintains Optimistic OutlookSpring Ridge Development issues special report on Florida Panhandle economy. (PRWeb Feb 19, 2010)
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/florida-panhandle/real-estate/prweb3623744.htm
- Solar probe lifts off in FloridaThe US space agency (Nasa) launches its Solar Dynamics Observatory from Florida on a mission to study the Sun.
- VCSims Releases its FS1 Xtreme M3 Flight Simulator at Super Bowl XLIV Party in Florida During a Super Bowl exclusive party in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hosted by SheltAir Aviation Services, VCSims was invited to have the prestigious guest list of Super Bowl attendees test fly ...
- AHN Florida Shooting Rampage Suspect ArrestedSheriff's deputies near Tampa, Fla. arrested a 53-year-old man they say is responsible for a shooting rampage that left three people dead Friday. - (AHN)
- South Florida Website Design Company Announces Free Website Contest for Starter Non Profit Organizations Personality Web Designs, one of the most reliable Miami website design company, has announced a contest for newly started non-profit organizations to win a free website. (PRWeb Feb ...
- Captiva Island Florida South Sea Plantation Bargain Home Unique Buying Opportunity Zen Real Estate alerts Captiva Island Florida bargain hunter home buyers of an opportunity to purchase a South Seas Plantation home at the bargain list price of $1,395,000 or $392.18 ...
- Florida Tampa Bay Area Travelers Trends Revealed by Online Lodging and Vacation Rentals Directory Rentalo.com Comparison Shopping Interests, Vacation Planning habits, and preferences for Travelers and Vacationers Searching for Vacation Rentals (http://rentalo.com/), Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts in Florida’s Tampa Bay Area. (PRWeb Feb 13, ...
- ResortQuest Welcomes Jazz Lovers to the 2010 Seabreeze Jazz Festival in Panama City Beach Florida Thousands of Jazz enthusiasts from all over the United States will meet in Panama City Beach, FL this April to groove to the sound of Smooth Jazz provided by a ...