Review Walker Evans Decade by Decade
Whether 'Walker Evans is probably the single greatest American photographer ever to have worked in the twentieth century' as Walker Evans: Decade by Decade asserts I don't know. It does sound like a bit of a bold statement, given the competition. Bold claims aside, Walker Evans definitely was one of the most important American photographers of the past Century. This new volume, an overview of his entire oevre, from the early late 1920s work until the Polaroids from the 1970s, take a few year before his death, shows why.
Condensing a life spent with photography into two hundred pages is no simple task, and for a photographer as complex as Evans it can only scratch the surface. But Walker Evans: Decade by Decade scratches the surface - or maybe the various surfaces - very convincingly, offering everything there is to see, dividing the images into periods ('The Depression Years: The South', 'The Fortune Years And Beyond', etc.). The book seems destined to become the Evans landmark.
Those interested in the history of the photographic print might want to take note of the following, which can be found at the end of the book:
'In choosing to print Evans's images in the four-colour offset process, we have deviated from most books available about this artist's work. The industry standard over the years has been to reproduce Evans's black-and-white silver gelatin silver prints with duotone or tritone processes, which limit the tonal range by the use of only one or two inks in addition to the standard black. The present volume faithfully reproduces Evans's original vintage works even when there are obvious shortcomings in the artist's darkroom practices. In this attempt to reproduce the photographs more accurately, the plates not only complement the book's texts, they also allow for the best understanding of Evans's material choices and his working process over five decases.' (note the text does indeed use 'Evans's')
And indeed, the photographs differ quite clearly, often from page to next page, something photography history buffs might enjoy (of course, those eager to see beautifully printed books might also want to have a look).
As I noted here before, 2010 is a good year for those interested in the history of photography, and I think Walker Evans: Decade by Decade is one of those books you need to create shelve space for.
Walker Evans: Decade by Decade, photography by Walker Evans, with contributions by James Crump and Aaron Betsky, 256 pages, Hatje Cantz, 2010
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
/ realated stories]
Article Taged as : review, walker, evans, decade, decade, http, jmcolberg.com, weblog, 2010, review_walker_evans_, _decade_by_decade.html, http, www.jmcolberg.com, weblog, index.rdf, conscientious, review, walker, evans, decade, decade,
Article Viewed 2969 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
conscientious - a photography weblog
The Submitted XML Type text/xml and gathered so far 240444 bytes of news and keep on growing.
Submit Server name is Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) and Code Page 65001 (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Review Walker Evans Decade by Decade
Date Listed : Friday, February 26, 2010
Source : ,
- The Accounting Software Reviews Network Launches Its Newest Accounting Software Reviews Information Platform Los Angeles, CA - Since The Accounting Software Reviews Network located at www.AccountingSoftwareReviews.net began providing valuable insight on related accounting software reviews products and services, more and more Accounting ...
- Televisions.com reviews the Loewe Art SL 42 Full HD+ 100 DR+ LCD TV March 19, 2010 â€" Televisions.com team of experts drew upon years of experience to blend together objective laboratory instruments and comprehensive subjective analysis in the testing of the Loewe Art ...
- DiscountMugs.com Rated Top 100 in Miami Business Reviews MIAMI, FL ( Newsalbum ) March 19, 2010 - The Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce has recognized Bel Inc., the parent company of DiscountMugs.com (http://www.discountmugs.com), with a top 100 minority ...
- Www.For10Cents.com Reviews of Customers are good http://www.for10cents.com is one of a prominent bidding websites, providing a fresh and huge assortment of branded products like cameras and camcorders, computers, electronics, games, gift cards, home and garden accessories, ...
- Televisions.com reviews the JVC LT-46 DS 9 BU March 18, 2010 â€" Televisions.com expert team combined objective laboratory instruments and comprehensive subjective analysis to test the JVC LT-46 DS 9 BU, a 46 inch Full HD LCD TV ...
- The Most Up-to-date Review of the Most Sweeping Overhaul of Financial Regulation at Banking Forum Financial Services Regulation Proposals to be Dissected at GoldenNetworking.com's Banking Leaders Forum 2010 in Washington DC
New York, NY, March 18, 2010 -- GoldenNetworking.com's Banking Leaders Forum 2010, â€śDiscerning the New ...
- Company Launches Crusade against Viruses and Spywareâ€"Initial Virus Protection Reviews Optimistic The Antivirus Firewall Software Company has commenced its Internet protection campaign with gusto. They have always maintained their position as a privacy guardianâ€"with even a software application with that nameâ€"but ...
- CEEOA starts the annual research "CEE IT Outsourcing Review" and launches ITOlist.eu ďż˝" the catalogue of ITO companies 17 March, 2010 ďż˝" Sofia ďż˝" Central and Eastern European Outsourcing Association (CEEOA) is pleased to announce that they started the research â€śCentral and Eastern Europe IT Outsourcing Review 2009â€ť ...
- Televisions.com reviews the Toshiba 55 SV 685 D Toshibaâ€™s massive 55 inch screen flat panel Full HD LCD TV, the 55 SV 685 D was tested by the expert team at Televisions.com by blending together objective laboratory instruments ...
- A Review of Citizen Diver Titanium Promaster Cyber Aqualand Watch JV0055-00E Citizen JV0055-00E is a super Scuba diving watch best suited of professional divers.
This watch is ideal for dives teaching students and non-decompression diving. It has a nice easy to read ...