Huge Setback for Manned Space Program
Just as NASA was starting to make progress on the Constellation program it appears that President Obama has pulled the plug. The President's new budget does not include any funding for the program, including the much discussed trip to the Moon.
Instead, NASA will be expected to begin buying seats on Russian rockets to fulfill our commitments to the International Space Station (ISS). Under this new plan NASA would be primarily responsible for monitoring climate change and developing a new rocket. The return mission to the Moon planned for 2020...? Scraped.
Perhaps I was just more out of the loop than I thought, but this came as a bit of a surprise to me. I figured that the President was going to recommend shifting focus to more short term goals (like meeting our commitments to the ISS), but I did not expect that we would be all but abandoning our space program. Now, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but it clearly shows a paradigm shift away from human exploration. I am disappointed to say the least. Hopefully this is a temporary setback, but only time will tell. What are you thoughts?
Image Credit: NASA
Huge Setback for Manned Space Program originally appeared on About.com Space / Astronomy on Thursday, January 28th, 2010 at 16:03:54.Permalink | Comment | Email this
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
/ realated stories]
Article Taged as : huge, setback, manned, space, program, http, space.about.com, 2010, huge, setback, manned, space, program.htm, http, z.about.com, space, index.xml, about.com, space/astronomy, huge, setback, manned, space, program,
Article Viewed 1424 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
The Submitted XML Type application/xml and gathered so far 72454 bytes of news and keep on growing.
Submit Server name is Apache and Code Page 65001 (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Huge Setback for Manned Space Program
Date Listed : Sunday, February 14, 2010
Source : ,
- A2LA Announces Forensic DNA Testing and Databasing Pilot ProgramA2LA Pilot Program is being offered in the area of Forensic DNA Testing and Databasing(PRWeb February 17, 2012)Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9190081.htm
- A2LA Announces Crime Scene Analysis Accreditation Pilot ProgramA2LA Pilot Program is being offered in the area of crime scene analysis(PRWeb February 17, 2012)Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9206942.htm
- Une puce programmable délivre les médicaments dans lorganisme Une puce sans fil et programmable capable de délivrer des médicaments à l'intérieur du corps vient de réussir les premiers tests cliniques chez l'Homme. Huit patientes souffrant d'ostéoporose ont pu ...
- How a computer program became classical musics hot new composer'Emily Howell' is a computer program that composes classical music by following rules of music its programmer taught it.
- Bush wiretap program gets rebuke from federal judge Bush authorized a wiretap program allowing US citizens with suspected terror links to be tapped without a warrant. Now, a judge has ruled that an Islamic charity was the subject ...
- The University of Atlanta to Launch Second International Cohort of Recently Inaugurated and much acclaimed DBA Degree Program in Managerial Science The high demand and the institution’s response to it are signs of major program Success and Broad Institutional Expansion. (PRWeb Mar 27, 2010)
- Young Marine Biologist Lands Dream Job… to Establish a Nature Program in Caribbean The Tryall Club Hires TJ Jett The Tryall Club is pleased to announce the hiring of marine biologist TJ Jett as on-site Naturalist, in charge of directing the Club’s diverse array of nature and outdoor recreation ...
- Washington and Tehran rhetoric heats up over Iran nuclear program The rhetoric between US and Iranian leaders has taken a sharp negative turn over the Iran nuclear program. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called Iran's government a "menace" while Supreme ...
- Study shows phyical therapy exercise program can reduce risk of postnatal depression in new mothers ALEXANDRIA, VA -- A physical therapy exercise and health education program is effective in improving postnatal well-being and reducing the risk for postnatal depression (PND), according to a...
- Leading Online Veterinary CPD Programme Gains RACE Approval Keysteps Online, the video continuing education service for veterinary surgeons and nurses, is the only UK web based video programme with RACE approval. (PRWeb Mar 21, 2010)