U.S. astronaut among speakers at Aboriginal symposium at Centennial College
December 02, 2009, Toronto â€' Commander John Bennett Herrington, the first Native American tribal member to fly in outer space, is among the special guests speaking at an Aboriginal symposium at Centennial College on December 10.
The theme, 'Looking into the Future â€' 2040,' will present an opportunity to engage First Nations people and other participants in dialogue about the future for Aboriginal people. Speakers will be invited to share their vision of the year 2040, when a 16-year-old in high school will have reached middle age.
The forward-looking symposium will examine:
â€¢ prophesies, predictions and re-generation;
â€¢ sustainable development and inter-generational equity;
â€¢ career trends and pathways;
â€¢ validating indigenous ways of thinking and knowing; and,
â€¢ the importance of oral culture and witnessing.
Keynote speaker and space shuttle veteran John Bennett Herrington of the Chickasaw Nation will discuss visioning and creating pathways for the future. Other workshops will feature Sal Ferreras from Aboriginal Music Studies at Vancouver Community College and the 2010 Aboriginal Pavilion at the Olympic Winter Games. Dan and Mary Lou Smoke will highlight their cultural counselling work, media and communications experience, and their university courses in indigenous spirituality.
Sponsorship of the event, which marks Human Rights Day, is through Centennialâ€™s Institute for Global Citizenship and Equity, a leading-edge centre examining global citizenship and equity issues, as well as the collegeâ€™s Culture and Heritage Institute.
Thursday, December 10, 9 am to 4:30 pm
Centennial College Residence and Conference Centre,
940 Progress Avenue, Scarborough (Markham Rd. at Hwy 401)
There is a small participation fee for students and educators. For more symposium details, please visit http://www.centennialcollege.ca/ aboriginal. Or Toronto education & their Degree Programs
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Mark Toljagic from 202.131.117.xxx
Article Taged as : u.s., astronaut, among, speakers, aboriginal, symposium, centennial, college, http, www.centennialcollege.ca, u.s., astronaut, among, speakers, aboriginal, symposium, centennial, college,
Article Viewed 2202 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : U.S. astronaut among speakers at Aboriginal symposium at Centennial College
Date Listed : Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Source : ,
- Olin College President Elected Member of the National Academy of.Richard K. Miller, president of Olin College of Engineering, is one of 66 newly elected members of the National Academy of Engineering.(PRWeb February 16, 2012)Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9201182.htm
- En bref il y a 50 ans lastronaute John Glenn faisait le tour de la Terre Le 20 février 1962, John Glenn était le premier Américain à réaliser un vol orbital à bord de la capsule Friendship 7.
Découvrez les astronautes en image
Si 1961 reste l'année ...
- Astronaut Glenn calls historic flight best day of his life
Reuters Reuters - Astronaut John Glenn, marking the 50th anniversary on Monday of his historic flight as the first American to orbit the Earth, remembered it as the best day of ...
- First Ever Virtual Autism Conference Featuring Temple Grandin and 16 speakers to discuss Things To Know About Autism April 10th 11th. To help moms who have children with autism and to support Autism Awareness month, Momsfightingautism.com is offering a free virtual conference with 17 different presenters over two days on Saturday ...
- Astronauts dock at International Space Station
AFP AFP - A Russian rocket carrying three astronauts from Russia and the United States docked at the International Space Station (ISS) Sunday, the Russian flight control centre said.
- March Madness reading list 10 best books about college basketballTired of reading brackets all day long? Try some of these classic books on college basketball.
- Secret millionaire donates her fortune to Lake Forest College. Heres how she did it.Grace Groner surprised everyone by leaving $7 million to her alma mater, Lake Forest College. But secret millionaires, even Warren Buffet, share these wealth-building traits.
- Diabetes associations applaud federal government for commitment to Aboriginal
Diabetes Initiative Press releases distributed via CNW Group. CALGARY, March 5 /CNW/ - The Alberta Securities Commission (ASC) has concluded settlements with Calgary-based The Hear Now Inc. and its one-time director Gerard ...
- R E P E A T Federal Budget Ignores Plight of Aboriginal Students Press releases distributed via CNW Group. CALGARY, March 5 /CNW/ - The Alberta Securities Commission (ASC) has concluded settlements with Calgary-based The Hear Now Inc. and its one-time director Gerard ...
- College of Microscopy Brings Researchers Together For Expert Led Electron Backscatter Diffraction EBSD Workshop The College of Microscopy, JEOL and EDAX provided a free workshop on EBSD, sharing applications of EBSD to materials analysis in geology and metallurgy. (PRWeb Feb 26, 2010)