Surfacescapes puts Dungeons and amp Dragons on Surface makes your d20 obsolete video
We've seen some fancy applications for Microsoft's Surface, the touchable, strokable, caressable computing device/big-ass table, but not a single one has made us twitter in nerdy glee like Surfacescapes. Created by a team at Carnegie Mellon University, it's an implementation of Dungeons & Dragons in 3D, something that has of course been done dozens and dozens of times before, but this is different. Way different. It brilliantly brings the tabletop style of play to Surface, with players moving real figurines over virtual battlefields, rolling virtual d20s and d6s to deal real damage against digital dire wolves and the like, opponents who can move and attack automatically. Sure, it takes some of the imagination out of the experience, but it'll also make re-rolling your character a heck of a lot easier -- not to mention eliminating the dungeonmaster's folder of magic, mystery, and crudely drawn maps.
[Via Microsoft Surface Blog]Continue reading Surfacescapes puts Dungeons & Dragons on Surface, makes your d20 obsolete (video)Filed under: Displays, GamingSurfacescapes puts Dungeons & Dragons on Surface, makes your d20 obsolete (video) originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
/ realated stories]
Article Taged as : surfacescapes, puts, dungeons, dragons, surface, makes, your, obsolete, video, http, www.engadget.com, 2009, surfacescapes, puts, dungeons, dragons, surface, makes, your, http, gaming.engadget.com, rss.xml, engadget, surfacescapes, puts, dungeons, dragons, surface, makes, your, obsolete, video,
Article Viewed 1523 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
The Submitted XML Type text/html and gathered so far 298914 bytes of news and keep on growing.
Submit Server name is Apache/2.2 and Code Page 65001 (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Surfacescapes puts Dungeons and amp Dragons on Surface makes your d20 obsolete video
Date Listed : Thursday, October 22, 2009
Source : ,
- Marine Col. James Sabow coverup questions surface again Marine Col. James Sabow was found dead in 1991. Official investigations ruled his death a suicide, but members of his family disagree. The case has come up again because it ...
- Custom Radeon HD 5830 from VTX30 Surfaces Advanced Micro Devices released not so long ago its latest graphics card from the ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series, namely the HD 5830. Needless to say, its partners took no ...
- Marathon PGM Drills 3.94 g t Gold Over 9 Metres Near Surface at Leprechaun
Gold Deposit Press releases distributed via CNW Group. CALGARY, Feb. 19 /CNW/ - The Alberta Securities Commission (ASC) has reciprocated a Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA) decision and permanently banned ...
- Beyond the abyss Deep sea creatures build their homes from materials that sink from near the ocean surface Evidence from the Challenger Deep -- the deepest surveyed point in the world's oceans -- suggests that tiny single-celled creatures called foraminifera living at extreme depths of more than ten ...
- Hubble Sees Changing Surface of Pluto
Poor Pluto. Once known as the smallest and loneliest planet in our solar system, it was subsequently stripped of its planet status. And pictures of the tiny world always painted ...
- Geckos lessons transfer well Dry printing of nanotube patterns to any surface could revolutionize microelectronics Scientists have come up with a way to transfer forests of strongly aligned, single-walled carbon nanotubes from one surface to another -- any surface -- in a matter of minutes. ...
- EA dragging Dragons Lair to iPhone Joystiq
[Image credit: Rich Lem]
Eiji Aonuma has spent a lot of time developing Legend of Zelda games. In fact, he's been in a managerial role on the franchise ever since ...
- Could email be obsolete in a decade where How often do you send an email these days? Me, I send loads each day. Whether it's emails to work colleagues through the day, or emails to friends during my ...
- Magnalight.com Adds Surface Mount Billet Encased LED Modules Larson Electronics’ magnalight.com added several new aluminum billet encased LED lights for low voltage, surface mount applications. (PRWeb Nov 13, 2009)
Read the ...
- SMS with Cell Phone Handset is Obsolete Started out by an engineer in Los Angeles, smsfree4all developers discovered a new way to send free SMS via internet for free directly to any worldwide mobile provider without selecting ...