Federal Judge Dismisses Eff's Youtube Lawsuit Against Paranormalist Uri Geller.
Chief Judge, Vaughn R. Walker, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California dismissed a lawsuit that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed against Uri Geller.
Baltimore, Maryland, Feb 12,2008--Chief Judge, Vaughn R. Walker, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California dismissed a lawsuit that the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed against Uri Geller. In his 25 page opinion, Judge Walker decided the United States District Court in San Francisco did not have jurisdiction over Geller, a British subject, or Explorologist, LTD, an English company that holds certain rights to him.
At the center of the controversy was a notification sent by a corporate employee requesting YouTube to take down a video clip posted by a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania skeptic. The takedown request stated that the posting contained a video clip (showing Geller's personal medical doctor introducing Geller in a charity show) and photographs owned by the
corporation. Geller and Explorologist, LTD, represented by Richard Winelander, Esq. of Baltimore, Maryland, argued that there were multiple reasons to dismiss the case, including that the court lacked both personal jurisdiction over the defendants and subject matter jurisdiction over an international DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) takedown based on English law. They also argued that the statements made by the corporate employee were true.
Judge Walker did not reach the issue as to the truth of the corporate statement. However, he was clearly troubled by the thought of applying United States Copyright Law to a YouTube takedown made by a foreign corporation in a foreign land. Judge Walker also suggested that the case could be handled in Philadelphia where Explorologist, LTD filed an
earlier suit against the same skeptic, claiming that the YouTube post violated English Copyright Law. According to Winelander, both lawsuits test the outer limits of territorial jurisdiction of U.S. Courts over international copyright disputes occurring in cyberspace.
For the complete text of the opinion go to http://www.uri-geller.com/ pdf/ ruling.pdf
Press release distribution by PressReleasePoint(http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/).
Winelander Law Group
1005 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
http://www.rightverdict.com/ index.php/ links
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Richard Winelander from 122.164.32.xxx
Article Taged as : federal, judge, dismisses, eff's, youtube, lawsuit, against, paranormalist, geller., http, www.rightverdict.com, index.php, links, federal, judge, dismisses, eff's, youtube, lawsuit, against, paranormalist, geller.,
Article Viewed 2704 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Federal Judge Dismisses Eff's Youtube Lawsuit Against Paranormalist Uri Geller.
Date Listed : Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Source : ,
- Attention Crown Point Home Owners: M & M Construction has formed an alliance with Temo Sunrooms to help homeowners reduce their energy bill and carbon footprint by taking advantage of the $7500 federal tax credit. M&M Construction has acquired dealer rights to sunrooms, carports, and patio covers that have Solar panels installed by the factory. By having these flexible solar panels installed at the factory, ...
- Company Launches Crusade against Viruses and Spywareâ€"Initial Virus Protection Reviews Optimistic The Antivirus Firewall Software Company has commenced its Internet protection campaign with gusto. They have always maintained their position as a privacy guardianâ€"with even a software application with that nameâ€"but ...
- Loans against cars: Timely fiscal aid against your car Loans against cars are a great funding solution available in the market for the car owners who require funds for meeting their unavoidable needs and desires. These loans can be ...
- Top Real Estate Agent Kenn Renner Says Home Buying Rush Is Expected As Federal Tax Credit Expires Austin-based Kenn Renner with Keller Williams Realty says the real estate market is picking up as people try to cash in on the First Time Homebuyer and Move Up Credit ...
- Convert Video to HD YouTube with HD video Converter WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is such a versatile video converterï¼Œwhich can help you convert video HD YouTube with fast speed and high quality.
Digiarty Software, professional digital media software provider, ...
- Associated Property Management (APM) Creates a YouTube Channel Associated Property Management (APM) proudly announces that they have created a YouTube Channel which can be accessed from their website. The Associated Property Management (APM) YouTube Channel features video content ...
- New Hit Comedy Web Series, The Dick & Jane Show, on YouTube!
This comedy web series is filled with language that would make you second guess if what you just heard was really what you just thought you heard. Famed recurring lines, ...
- Online youtube movies video for next entertainment. Most entertainment website topfilmi.com announced today new features for online music video lovers. Topfilmi.com has released Free youtube movies that lets you take control of the videos that you enjoy ...
- Secured loans against logbook-Easy cash support against your logbook When you have a car and ready to place logbook papers to get a loan help, secured loans against logbook are for you. Logbook papers are a legal document that ...
- Vibrating Exercise Machine: A perfect source to fighting against obesity With the increase in level of awareness and consciousness among people regarding fitness and with the advent of latest technology in the fitness field, it has now become important for ...